Danny 828-329-0868 Jon 828-458-5527

©2018 by Moore Home Services. Proudly created with Wix.com

Mold Testing and Mold Removal

Let Us Inspect your home for mold

Mold is a confusing and controversial topic in the real estate industry. Some people view mold as a very serious health concern while others think the risks are completely overblown. It doesn’t help that there are almost no government or industry standards concerning mold. With all the confusion and disagreement, it helps to focus on what is known about mold.

What Is Mold?

Mold is part of the fungus family which also includes mushrooms and mildew. There are approximately 1.5 million species of fungi and only about 10% of these have been cataloged. Mold, like mushrooms, grows on dead organic material like floor joists and gets all its nutrients by breaking this material down.

Where Does Mold Grow?


Molds can grow almost anywhere. Some molds will even grow on glass and stainless steel, as long as there is a thin layer of organic material on the surface. Many molds can also grow in complete darkness including inside walls, inside ductwork, under carpet, etc.

3 Basic Health Risks


  • Allergenic: Most mold-related health problems are due to breathing in the spores. These spores can cause allergic or asthmatic symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, and runny nose. The severity of these symptoms will vary depending on the number of spores in the air and they will also vary from person to person. These effects are usually worse for people who are already suffering from allergies or asthma.

  • Pathogenic: Some molds can grow at body temperature and cause infections. This is most common in people whose immune systems are already suppressed due to illness, HIV/AIDS, or chemotherapy. A healthy individual can normally resist these infections.

  • Toxic: Only a very small percentage of molds are considered toxic. Toxic molds produce mycotoxins that can cause health problems ranging from irritation and rashes to immune system problems, skin disease, and even cancer. Most recorded cases are due to eating food contaminated with mold but some mold spores can also contain mycotoxins which can be breathed in or absorbed through the skin.